Tuesday, June 23

Looking for God

The kids are in Bible school this week. They are loving it. I am also loving it and what they are learning and witnessing (to me and others). After a long day and evening at VBS and the ball fields, I was home alone bathing the kids. Bath time is usually not fun at my house, I don't enjoy it. For that reason Kelly normally does it, but last night he was still at the park (at 10:00PM). I get frustrated during bath because Hank is normally running all over the place (yes, running. we have a big tub) trying to get away as you attempt to wash his hair. He can't stand the water in his eyes and normally cries the whole time you are bathing him. Eden, at age 7, is in the process of still learning to bathe herself and is easily distracted and acts as if she has the rest of her life to finish bathing. Hence--all my frustrations.
To the point. Last night while trying to get Hank to sit down and Eden to come up from under the water so that she could finish cleaning herself, I found my self being very ugly to both children trying to get them to get finished. It was late and we had to be up early. All my fault...not the kids. Anyway, during all this Eden says "Mom, please smile." "What is there to smile about," I say. E-"I was told in Bible school to look for God, and I don't see him right now, but if you smile I might."
Whoa. Heart breaker. Smile.

My baby is such a smart little girl. She got me right where it hurts.
Would it really had hurt me to smile while I bathed my children? No. It might have even made things more fun.:)

So now, with my 7 year-old calling me out I am pressed with guilt on how I sometimes manage things and situations with my kids. I am a blog follower and often find myself on sites of friends and even strangers. Recently I have seen many blogs where the writer does a "Seven days of Grace" or "Grace in the small things" type of blogging to enhance their lives and to assist them to stop-and-smell-the-coffee a little more often.
I am going to attempt this same type of blogging for the next week (7 days). I will blog every day about each child (Eden and Hank) about something that they did to brighten my day or to brighten some one's day. My children are my little angels, my little gifts from God and I plan on honoring that more. I tend to get caught up in the rush of our lives and expect way to much from my little ones. They are only little once...let them live that way.

So stay tuned for my 7 Days of Grace with Eden and Hank. Please comment on them so that I know I have accountability partners. :)

1 comment:

Donna said...

My sweet Joanna, you are such a good mama. I've always admired the little things you do with them - everything from painting Easter Eggs to digging in the dirt on Earth Day. Mama's tend to get caught up in the rush of "have to" and "hurry up" but believe me, Eden and Hank are going to long remember those little things you've done with them. I hope this blogspot will be around when they are grown so that they will be able to read about all the fun things they've done.