Tuesday, March 24

The Principal's Office

There is a first time for everything; and even though this first is earlier than I wanted it-we are handling it. As you may have read in my previous posts-we often have problems with Eden in school. We receive notices informing us of Eden talking out of turn, being disruptive, and not completing her work on time. Her teacher and I are in communication with each other, but her teacher puts it off as no big deal. Well, Kelly and I think it is a huge deal! Not only is she misbehaving at school, she is also acting out at home. At home she is a typical girl (what I believe to be typical); stomping up the stairs, slamming doors, rolling her eyes, talking back, screams at her brother (poor boy--she doesn't realize that one day he will be bigger than her-right Kelly?), and often even pushed and hits him if she is angry for any reason at all.
Well, today her teacher apparently had enough. Eden was given 8 chances-E.I.G.H.T, yes that many! She still didn't get it. We really do not know what we are going to do with her. It is a clear blessing that I am working in the field that I am--I have so many expertise to get advice from: I have access to a teacher (that I work with daily) with a masters in Special Education, my boss has been in the field for over 30 years, a child psychologist (who gave several tips today), and many other teachers who are highly qualified. I have learned many things: Eden is special; she needs consistency, she is highly intelligent, very creative, bores easily, everyone loves to be around, is the class clown, etc. I could go on and on, but what mother couldn't!? I love my daughter-more than life itself. It is very hard to sit and see her develop and have no control over her personality--she is who she is and I am proud. I am hoping to help nurture this little personality and help it form in to one that while in a setting (such as a classroom) she needs to conform to the rules, but on her own-be a frees-spirit and follow her heart and mind. It is quite difficult to parent a child like her.
So now, here we are searching books online; How to Tame the Spirited Child and The Strong Willed Child--whew, there are so many materials. I know Eden is a child of God first and foremost and he has blessed Kelly and I with her for a reason (if you know us, this is the complete opposite of us both), and we are loving every minute of it. I am looking to get her in to activities to let her imagination run wild; such as auditioning for an upcoming play here in town and getting her in to acting classes (something she has asked to do). As always, we will definitely continue with dance and gym.
Principals office. Good or bad? I guess a little of both. A blessing-because now we can realize the problem and find a solution. Bad-Eden was the first in her whole class to be sent to the Principal's office ALL YEAR! That is a hard pill to swallow for us. Eden asked me "Mom, were you ever sent to the Principal's office?" "Yes Eden, once in 5th grade and once in the 11th grade-and I cried my eyes out both times." She couldn't believe that that was all. "That's all mommy?" "Yes, Eden. That's all."

I pray for my babies daily and I thank God constantly for the two he has blessed me with. I know we have our precious Edibug for a reason. And I enjoy every day that I am continually faced with the challenges of parenthood...I wouldn't trade it for the world. So I ask you all, my faithful readers, to pray for my babies as well...for Eden, may we have the best suited solutions for her spirited little soul! God knows--we just have to keep seeking Him!
Please stay tuned for future updates on little Eden and this new adventure we have bestowed upon...
:)
I am hoping this is an eye-opener for our precious little baby, only six years old. She still has so many years to go. School is a long road to travel, and this is just a stepping stone. For sure we will be watching behaviors more and being more strict and concerned with her ways and what is going on at school other than academics.

What an eye-opener for us ALL!

No comments: