Tuesday, December 2

'Tis the Season

After a long weekend away and a run-in with non-functioning lights--we finally got our trees up!

I take pride in my tree and tend to be anal about decorating it just perfectly. But this year the kids were all hands when it came to 'helping' me...so I was flexible and allowed them to help! I think they did a great job!

I/we have been collecting ornaments for years...for as long as I can remember as a child and since I have had a home of my own. I have about 3 "new home" ornaments, Eden has about 4 "babies first year" and Hank has 0 (awful I know), we have the traditional green pickle that I hide deep with in the branches, we have several odd "what is this?" ornaments, Eden has 3 Nutcracker ornaments, Hank represents with Towmater and Lighting McQueen, then there is my K-mart Martha Stewart's that I just like for the colors and design, and then there are the 30+ that we have received from my wonderful Aunt Gina! She started a tradition years ago (when I was in high school) to purchase an ornament for every family member. The ornaments represents something personal in our lives or a special event from that year (such as a beer mug for Kelly--nice, huh?). Every year I look forward to adding the new ones from last year (that we got Christmas Eve) and to reminisce on why she chose the ones she did for us! Last year's were a leather chair for Kelly(for our big favorite chair), a teachers work bag for me, a sneaker and basketball set for Hank that makes me the sound of a ball going through the hoop, and a Cherry Parfait girl for Eden (because Eden is a Ganny's girl and she likes cherries).

Oh the memories that come with putting up our tree every year; I just love it!

This year we hope to start a new tradition--we are purchasing a small tree (about 4 feet) for the kids play room for them to make handmade ornaments for and to completely decorate themselves! I am looking forward to how this works out!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Our beautiful tree


Hank a little distracted


Amazed by a basket of ornaments


Eden proud of the finished products





No comments: